Friday, May 29, 2009


Last night, Bubbles gave my family and I, the scare of our lives. By dissapearing for 6 hours!!!

We'd all been outside talking, some friends had taken my youngest siblings to Dollywood for the day, and had just got back. All the dogs were out running around as was everyone else.

Bubbles had found some sort of creature by the air conditioning unit, and was busy trying to dig it out. Well my dad had the bright idea, to see if she could find the creature, that was haunting the crawl space of their house.

So he opened the door and let her in. My exact words were: "You are not going to be able to get her out of there, unless you drag her out." But a second later she came bouncing
back out, and went back to A/C unit.

A little while later, the party dispersed, and since my brother wanted Bubbles to spend the night with him, I gathered up Ben and Texas; figuring she would just either come back to my house, or go to the door and bark to be let in. Which is normal for her.

That was around 7:00PM.

Around 9:00PM - My brother comes banging in asking for Bubbles..."No she's up there with you guys!" My brother can be very dramatic at times, and shrieked "WHAT?!?!" And takes off back up the hill. Well...there was no sign of her.

And the search commenced.

By 12:30 we gave up, and just prayed she'd make it back safely.

Sleep as of course hard to come by, as it was raining and storming outside, and I couldn't imagine what anxiety she might be going through!!
Around 2AM, I awoke with a start, as there was a long dachshund body. I switched the light on only to realize it was Texas, but got up to check outside.

Still no sign.

But just 30 minutes later, my brother comes banging on my window.Scared me SILLY of course. But announcing that they had found Bubbles; she had dug a hole under the house and gotten STUCK. *eye-roll*

The hole was under my sisters room, and she kept hearing sounds down there, and when they went back to investigate, all they could see was her butt, she was still digging away, not even caring about the tramua she'd put us all through.

Around 5AM they got her out, and she came back home, wet, a little thirsty, but no worse.

Of course we'd all suffered several heart attacks, during this time. But she's back home now. And pretty much slept all morning.

I'd figured she was pretty close, because Bubbles does not wander, she's off leash most of the time, but she sticks around the houses...if I go in without her, a few minutes later she's at the door barking to be let in.

I also installed a bell on her collar, so I could hear her in the dark...since her recall is non-existent...cause she never runs!

But once she finds something (mouse, rodent etc..) her ears turn off, and she won't come out until she's about to drop from exhaustion.

Which is what I figured had happened....but wow how nerve racking that was!!


Groomer Angie said...

Thank goodness she is home!! My older Bullie girls have done that to me before, worried me sick! Pappy wants to know if Bubbles is grounded?? ;)

The Brax Blog said...

Wow a bet you are glad she's home!
I hate it when a dog "goes missing"!

Frankie's trainer

btw I have posted hints on my new puppy's name, check it out on my blog!

Carrie and Waffle said...

BUBBLES! that was not very nice to do to your mom. You better be extra nice to her over the weekend.

Raising Addie said...

OMD!! Thank God you are ok Bubbles!!

We were worried about you today!

The next time you dig a hole Bubbles, make sure you make it big enough so you can get out!

Chasing my tale...
Addie, Lucie, and Hailey