Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm not ready to say good-bye...



Much sooner than I'd expected, I received an email with the subject line: Victoria. I knew what it was before I clicked on it, and my heart skipped a beat. I knew she was up for adoption, but since I hadn't seen any active "advertising" of her, I subconsciously was hoping that she'd been forgotten.
Several emails and a phone call later, I set up an appointment with the potential adopter, tomorrow morning. Tonight we'll bathe and brush her down, clean her ears, clip her toe nails, brush her teeth, spray some doggie perfume on her, and try to keep her out of the mud.

I will have to resist the temptation to try and scare this person away,as I DO want Victoria to go to a good home. Just...not yet.

If this lady decides to adopt her I know that Victoria will still be with me for at least another five days.

But still its too soon.

btw...if you can't tell, no these good-byes NEVER get easier. 

{Photo: Victoria and I four months ago}

10 comments:

Heather said...

Awww, best of luck for to night. We will be keeping you & her in our thoughts!

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

We hope the appointment goes well; we will truly "miss" Victoria on the blog!
I do agree, the goodbyes are never easy :(
Awesome picture!

Toby's Trainer
SEGDI Raiser

Kari in Alaska said...

Heres hoping that the best works out for Victoria whatever that may be

Alli and Frankie said...

Oh, that's sad! Hope everything goes smoothly. We had a foster I fell in love with and it was comforting that the people who adopted him were so amazing. Still sad, but comforting.

Beth and Alfie said...

Victoria's such a sweet dog...I know it will be tough seeing her go...wish you the best!

Ruby's Raiser said...

We'll be thinking of you and hope your appointment goes well.

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, it must be very hard to let one go.

Katie in MA said...

Saying goodbye is never easy, but you have made a difference in this pup's life and she will live a long happy life thanks to you. And there are so many dogs ahead in your journey that need you too! You are a blessing, a special angel to do what you do, helping guide and service dog puppies reach their potential. And your pups go on to tough the lives of others in so many ways.

Hang in there, and thanks for doing what you do. Give those pups of yours a hug from me!

Katie and Traveler

The New Adventures of Tulip an said...

I feel for you, it must be very hard to let one go.

Alli & Frankie said...

Oh, that's sad! Hope everything goes smoothly. We had a foster I fell in love with and it was comforting that the people who adopted him were so amazing. Still sad, but comforting.